You should talk to a nurse or doctor if:
- You think you may be expecting
- Your period that is next is than a week later
- Your duration is smaller or lighter than typical
- You have got any unexpected or pain that is unusual your reduced stomach (this may be a sign of a ectopic maternity, the place where a fertilised egg implants outs
The crisis contraceptive capsule might connect to other medications. These generally include:
- The natural medication St John’s Wort
- Some medications used to deal with epilepsy
- Some medications utilized to deal with HIV
- Some medicines used to deal with tuberculosis (TB)
- Medicine such as for example omeprazole (an antacid) to produce your belly less acid
EllaOne can not be utilized if you’re currently taking one of these simple medications, as it can not be effective.
Levonelle may nevertheless be utilized, nevertheless the dosage might need to be increased – your physician or pharmacist can advise about this.
There should be no relationship between your crisis pill & most antibiotics. Two enzyme-inducing antibiotics (called rifampicin and rifabutin), utilized to deal with or avoid meningitis or TB, may affect ellaOne while they’re being taken as well as for 28 times a short while later.
If you’d like to make sure that your medications are safe to simply take utilizing the crisis contraceptive capsule, pose a question to your GP or even a pharmacist. It’s also wise to browse the client information leaflet that is included with your medications.
Can I have the crisis contraceptive capsule beforehand?
You might be in a position to get the crisis contraceptive tablet prior to having non-safe sex if:
- You will be focused on your contraceptive technique failing
- You might be happening getaway
- You can not get your hands on crisis contraception effortlessly
Pose a question to your GP or nurse for more info on getting advance emergency contraception.
The IUD as emergency contraception
The device that is intrauterineIUD) is a tiny, T-shaped contraceptive device made of synthetic and copper. It’s inserted in to the womb by an experienced wellness professional. It may avoid an egg from implanting in your womb or becoming fertilised.
You could have ovulated, to prevent pregnancy if you’ve had unprotected sex, the IUD can be inserted up to five days afterwards, or up to five days after the earliest time. It’s more efficient at preventing maternity compared to crisis supplement, plus it doesn’t connect to other medicine.
You can even choose to have the IUD left in as an ongoing way of contraception.
Just exactly How effective may be the IUD at preventing pregnancy?
There are numerous kinds of IUD. Newer ones have significantly more copper and therefore are significantly more than 99% effective. Less than two ladies in 100 whom utilize a more recent IUD over 5 years gets pregnant. IUDs with less copper inside them are less efficient than this, but they are nevertheless effective. The IUD works more effectively compared to crisis supplement at preventing pregnancy after unsafe sex.
Who is able to make use of the IUD?
The majority of women may use an IUD, including women that haven’t been pregnant and people that are HIV good. Your GP or clinician will enquire about your history that is medical to if an IUD would work for you personally.
You ought not to utilize an IUD when you yourself have:
- An untreated STI or perhaps a pelvic illness
- Specific abnormalities of this womb or cervix
- Any bleeding that is unexplained your vagina – for example, between durations or after intercourse
Ladies who have heart condition should consult their GP or cardiologist before having an IUD installed.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The IUD shouldn’t be placed if you have a risk which you may already be expecting. The IUD can safely be used if you’re breastfeeding, however the threat of problems during insertion is somewhat greater.
Which are the negative effects regarding the IUD
Problems after having an IUD fitted are uncommon, but can consist of discomfort, illness, problems for the womb or expulsion (the IUD coming from the womb). By using the IUD as a continuous approach to regular contraception, it would likely make your durations much longer, heavier or even more painful.
The IUD along with other medications
The emergency IUD will perhaps perhaps perhaps not respond with every other medicine.
Where may I get crisis contraception?
You will get the crisis contraceptive tablet while the IUD for free of:
- A GP surgery providing you with contraception (some GP surgeries might not supply the IUD)
- A contraception hospital
- A sexual wellness center
- Some medicine that is genitourinaryGUM) clinics
- Some young adults’s clinics (phone our sexual helpline on 0800 22 44 88)
You may also have the crisis contraceptive capsule free of:
- Many pharmacies
- Some small accidents devices
- Some Accident & crisis departments
A doctor or nursing assistant you notice may ask when it comes to information that is following
- When you yourself have had non-safe sex in your cycle that is menstrual
- The date for the very first time of one’s final duration while the typical amount of your period
- Information on any contraceptive failure (such as for example what number of pills you may possibly have missed, so when)
- If you have utilized any medicines which could impact your contraception
If you should be aged 13 or higher, you could get contraception through the almost all community pharmacies in Scotland, often totally free. If you should be perhaps not entitled to NHS Scotland services, you can get the crisis contraceptive supplement from many pharmacies. The price differs, nonetheless it shall be around ?30 to ?35.
Contraception for future years
If you are perhaps not utilizing a method that is regular of, you could think about performing this in purchase to reduce the possibility of unintended maternity. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) supplies the most dependable protection against maternity, and also you do not have to think you have sex about it every day or each time.
LARC methods are the:
Where can we get it?
This will depend which type of crisis contraception you utilize. There are two main techniques:
- The crisis contraceptive pill (after pill) – there are two types, Levonelle or ellaOne morning
- The device that is intrauterineIUD, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity if:
- You have not utilized contraception
- Your typical way of contraception has unsuccessful
Emergency contraception shouldn’t be utilized as opposed to your method that is usual of.
The earlier you utilize crisis contraception after having sex that is unprotected the greater amount of effective it really is. For lots more information, see How effective is emergency contraception?
The crisis contraceptive supplement
Levonelle can be obtained cost-free with no prescription. You will get it from many pharmacies as well as from your own GP or health clinic that is sexual. Make use of our nationwide provider Directory to locate nearest pharmacy, GP surgery or intimate wellness hospital.
Levonelle and ellaOne are both available totally free. You could get them from most community pharmacies as well as from your own GP or health clinic that is sexual.
Levonelle may be taken within 72 hours (3 days) of experiencing unsafe sex, but it is best if taken within 12 hours of getting sex that is unprotected.
You are taking one Levonelle tablet. It really works by stopping or ovulation that is delayingwhenever your ovaries launch an egg).
EllaOne may be taken within 120 hours (five times) of getting non-safe sex, but it is most reliable if taken as quickly as possible after having non-safe sex.
You take one ellaOne tablet. It prevents or delays ovulation and helps it be more challenging for the fertilised egg to implant into the womb.
The IUD (intrauterine device) can be obtained from:
- Contraception clinics
- Brook centers
- Most health that is sexual (GUM clinics)
- Many GP surgeries
The IUD is positioned as part of your womb. It damages both the semen together with egg, and stops an egg that is fertilised in your womb.
It should be fitted by a medical practioner within five times of having sex that is unprotected or, if it is feasible to calculate once you ovulate, as much as five times when you ovulate. The IUD is considered the most effective sort of crisis contraception.
You are able to keep carefully the IUD in as the regular method of contraception, hot mail order wives or a medical practioner can eliminate it throughout your next duration.
Crisis contraception might never be suited to everybody. Discover more about emergency contraception.
If you should be unwell
If you should be unwell (vomit) within three hours of using Levonelle or ellaOne, get hold of your GP. You might have to take another capsule.
Just How effective can it be?
It depends which kind of crisis contraception you employ and exactly how soon it is used by you.
There are two main ways of crisis contraception:
- The crisis contraceptive pill – or morning-after tablet – referred to as Levonelle or ellaOne
- The copper IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity when you haven’t utilized contraception or think your typical way of contraception has unsuccessful.